Choosing the right video production company can be a daunting task, especially if you haven’t had any videos produced in the past. It doesn’t have to be though as the majority of us are friendly people whose main goal is to help you. In this blog I’m going to take you through my 5 top tips to help you hire the right video production company.
1) Don’t rely on the company’s showreel – Almost every video production company has a showreel and they are used to advertise in a very short amount of time the range of work a video production company has completed. I’m not saying you should ignore them as some of them are very creative but it’s important that you watch some of their full video productions. In doing this you can make sure they are able to piece together a good clear story as this is most likely what you will be asking them to do for you. You don’t need any prior knowledge of film history or technique to do this. Once you have watched it see if you have can recount the message/story, if not then it may be worth looking again!
2) Speak to them over the phone or over a coffee – Having a video produced can be a very personal experience for some. Whether you’ve just poured your life savings into developing a new product or you are part of a large marketing department you want to know that you will get on with the video production company as you will need to be communicating with them a fair amount during the production process. The better your working relationship is with the company, the better the final video will turn out. The thing with us film-makers is that we are very passionate about what we do and therefore like to think up and discuss new ideas so don’t be afraid to ask for a phone call or even better to meet up for a coffee.
3) Lots of Questions – Don’t be afraid to ask lots of questions and if you are speaking to a good video production company they should be asking you a lot of questions. When it comes to video production you can’t plan enough after all, this video could be your main marketing tool so you want it to be as good as it can possibly be.
4) Don’t worry if they don’t have an example exactly the same as what you’re after – If you like the team and you like some of their videos don’t worry if they haven’t produced a very similar video for someone else. When it comes to video production our skills and abilities are easily transferable and due to experience we can usually grasp a new subject quite quickly. Whether we are producing a video for a radio controlled toy car or a video about a complicated communication device/service the core principles are the same.
5) Get several quotes – The price of video has come down a lot over recent years but it can still amount to a good portion of your marketing budget so it’s important to get a fair idea of what different companies charge. You will very quickly be able to see what sort of figure you should expect to pay and each quote should be itemised so you can see exactly what is included.
I hope these 5 brief tips have helped make you feel a little more confident when looking for a video production company. If you would like to find out more about how video can help your business please give Will or Andy a call on 01273 911345 or email them here.
We hope you found this blog interesting, please feel free to Share it around: